Cúram - Centre for Research in Medical Devices
CÚRAM aims to radically improve health outcomes for patients by developing ‘smart’ medical devices and implants. It develops these devices through collaborations with industry partners and hospital groups to enable their rapid translation to clinics.
CÚRAM positions Ireland as the driver in developing medical device technologies that will provide affordable transformative solutions for chronic diseases. The centre strengthens Ireland’s standing as a major global hub for medical device research and development.
CÚRAM’s research programme focuses on innovative design, assessment and manufacture of medical devices and is driven by specialist researchers, clinicians and industry partners, ultimately translating research into clinical settings.
- Drug Delivery
- Tissue Engineering
- Regenerative Medicine
- Device Design
Backed by €49.6m in SFI and industry funding, CÚRAM’s 250+ researchers are designing and manufacturing implants to respond to the body’s environment and delivering therapeutic agents exactly where they are needed. CÚRAM’s outputs will particularly benefit patients with chronic ailments such as heart disease, wound healing, diabetes and musculoskeletal diseases.
- National University of Ireland Galway
- University College Dublin
- University College Cork
- Trinity College Dublin
- University of Limerick
- The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Molecular Medicine Ireland
Industry and Commercialisation
- Biomaterials manufacturing and processing from nanoscale to macroscale level
- Extensive biomaterials and biological characterisation
- Physicochemical drug analysis
- Device design and testing
- National Biophotonics Imaging Platform (NBIP) including pre-clinical imaging
- Centre for Cell Manufacturing (CCMI)
- Preclinical disease models
- GMP manufacturing
- Clinical research and trial infrastructure
Education and Public Engagement
CÚRAM work in partnership with Science Foundation Ireland and other SFI Research Centres to encourage education and public engagement initiatives. CÚRAM organise and develop local and national programmes including:
- CÚRAMOBILE workshops including, Puppet PhDs where primary school kids to learn science in the lab
- ReelLIFE SCIENCE, a short film for Irish primary and secondary schools
- DEVISE, Cúram’s Education and Public Engagement Programme
- Residency Programmes such as the Chimera Art and Science Programme